Balint's Second Blog


November 1st, 2019
Period 3 English

Agenda
- Blog corrections
- Inktober gallery work
- Dia de los Muertos
- NaNoWriMo START

Homework
Start NaNoWriMo (10% of word count complete by Monday)

Well, here we go again. Not last and then first as planned, but this is about as close as I could get, I guess.

Halloween was yesterday, and you know what? I'm not going to say anything, because I'm not the only one here who knows how that went for me.

The day starts off with Raven's blog, and then we all do a gallery walk of Inktober drawings. There were a few... lets say disturbing ones, looking at you Nicholas, but there were also a fair share of very impressive drawings, including those of Andria, Sean, and, well, Sam. 

Afterwards, we began reading a paper on the Day of the Dead. It's impressive how long a tradition can live on, truly. However, that is not today's highlight. Today's highlight is the fact that we start writing our novels for National Novel Writing Month in class. With that said, and with Ms. Nakada signaling us to begin, the clacking of keyboards begins. Clearly, most of the people here already have a pretty good idea of what they're writing, and I'm still trying to decide between two options. 

Writing a novel in a month will definitely be a challenge, and personally I don't know how I'll manage to write 1,000 words each day. I get writer's block a bit too easily, and I know what this'll be like. That is, because I've tried writing a novel before, and I had not nearly enough preparation done, and I know how I wanted to begin, and I knew how I wanted to end, but I hadn't the slightest clue how to connect those two. Even now, I can't figure it out, which is a shame, but that isn't the point here. 

What I'm saying is that nobody should go into a book without knowing what you want to happen in preparation for the climax. Sure, the climax is a vital part of a story, and the most surprising and interesting it is, the better, so you obviously should put thought into that, but what will inevitably happen, if you don't plan a middle-section, is you will run into an invisible wall of writer's block, and it'll take a whole lot of willpower to get past it.

Also, the chair I'm sitting in is bending in such a way that it's bending my hip, and taking my spine with it, so isn't that just lovely?

Like Ms. Nakada said, what is being written now is everyone's first draft. There is no reason for being perfect about it, in terms of wording and grammar, no matter how compelling it may be to waste hours of time proofreading so that your story can look pristine. The objective of NaNoWriMo is to write a novel of your own imagination in a month, and not an English textbook.

There's about ten more minutes of class left, so I might as well start to wrap this bad boy up so that I can work solely on my novel. This has been fun, or at least somewhat. On the bright side, I won't have to do this again for likely the rest of the Semester, so thank goodness I don't have to worry about it any longer. 

Five minutes left of class, and we're just about done. Good luck on your novels, everyone!
That wasn't even supposed to rhyme, but hey, I sure don't care.

Comments